Thursday, December 20, 2012

Interview With Hend Al Matrouk and Gijo Paul George



By T-Square Staff
Images from s[toggle]. (Studio toggle)

Pushkinsky Cinema, Moscow, Russia.
Hend AlMatrouk was born in Kuwait and is a graduate of the University of Sharjah where she got her bachelor’s degree and has a master’s degree from the  Universitaet feur Angewandte Kunst (University of Applied Arts Vienna), both in the field of Architecture. She's been involved with a range of architectural offices in USA, Europe and the Middle East.
Gijo Paul George is from Cochin, India and is a graduate of the University of Kerala with a bachelor’s degree in Architecture, and also has a masters degree from Universitaet feur Angewandte Kunst. He has experience working with architectural offices in Europe, the Middle East and India. Together they founded s[toggle]. in 2011.

Can you tell us about the house you grew up in?
H.M.: I grew up in completely two different houses. Before the war, my house was not too spacious, but it had one big terrace and several small balconies where I used to play with my brothers and take care of my pets. I remember one huge tree in front of the main balcony that looks on the street, which shaded all that space; it was a pretty special space. After the war we moved to a bigger house where the garden was the major space that embraced most of our activities. More than the specifics of the house, it's the memories which made the spaces special.

G.P.G: My family moved around a lot until I was ten; that was when my father built our house. I was at the site at the time, and the architect he hired had just recently graduated from University, so it was the first house he built. He went for circular forms rather than rectangular spaces. We had spiral staircases, which would lead up to the roof, and there were cones like there was in castles. As children, that was exciting for my siblings and I, because we could hide up there. The roof was also unusual because he took inspiration from foliage; there would be leaves on the roof. But the roof was the place where we used to play and hide, so it was fun. But the trouble for my parents was when the time came to put the furniture, they couldn’t put it against the wall because the walls weren’t straight, they were all curved. But even as kids, we were proud that our house was unique.

What influences your current designs?
H.M.: I believe inspiration can be found all around us. I admire haute couture and works of designers like Alexander McQueen and Iris Van Herpen. I think fashion and architecture feed each other and the relationship goes beyond mere aesthetics. On the other hand, cellular systems and systems or organizations have an impact on how we approach some of our designs. 

G.P.G: We are a theoretically driven studio. We believe theory and practice should go hand in hand, contrary to what many people think. It’s not always about sterile functionality or on the other end of the spectrum, egotistic self-expression.  We draw inspirations from other disciplines, whether it’s filmmaking, fashion or typography. One thing that never ceases to amaze us is the emergent complexity we find in nature at the cellular level. At s[toggle]. we explore these relationships and attempt to apply the lessons learnt to everyday design solutions.


Cloverfield

What do you feel is the greatest challenge when designing?
H.M.:  It depends. If I’m designing something based on inner urges or whether I’m experimenting, the challenge is taking that idea or what I have felt in a specific moment out on a paper. I always find the start of something difficult but when you break it down it gets easier. 

G.P.G: The thing to avoid at all costs is to start with the baggage of the previous design that you did. But this is easier said than done. The challenge is to start with a blank canvas, explore multiple iterations, simplify and simplify till you capture the essence of what you are trying to do.

Was there a decisive moment in your life that led you into the design profession and where you are today?
H.M.: There wasn’t a specific moment in my life where I realized I wanted to be an architect. I’ve always wanted to create something that will express people and social issues, be more sensitive towards human conditions, and not just create something beautiful that people will talk about.

G.P.G.: Ever since I was little, I always wanted to design everything around me. Be it buildings, streets, cars, clothes etc. So I guess mine was a natural progression.

What is your ultimate goal when it comes to your work?
H.M.: I want my practice and vision to matter in the world of architecture, and keep experimenting with new things instead of sticking to one type of work.

G.P.G: Design meaningful buildings, and inspire others to do the same.

How do you see architecture having changed these past five years?
H.M.: The advancements in computer aided design and production has changed the way buildings have been designed radically. The fluctuations in economy and emphasis on sustainability are the other 2 factors, which I believe have changed the industry by forcing it to look for innovative solutions.

G.P.G: In terms of Architecture, there’s been a huge leap forward in the fields of digital design and fabrication. Technology has made that which was previously unthinkable, possible. We have clients who are more aware, thanks to the internet. I think the biggest development that has happened is the explorations into the seamless integration of design, structure and materials by way of fully automated computer controlled fabrication. We see it now maybe in a smaller scale, but it's a matter of time before larger buildings are designed and built this way. The future according to me is one in which each of us designs and fabricates their own space from their laptops. Just like photoshop made everybody a graphic designer overnight.

Why did you choose to study and receive your master’s from the Universitaet feur Angewandte Kunst in Vienna?
H.M.: Gijo went to this university before me, and he encouraged me to apply there because of its strength as a multi-disciplinary art school and because of the exposure I will gain from it as a whole.  As I looked at the people who are associated with the school, and the fact that the school promotes interdisciplinary exchange, the decision was not too difficult.

G.P.G: At the Angewandte, you might get into the elevator and find yourself alone with Zaha Hadid, you might grab a coffee from the machine to see Peter Eisenman stroll by; or you can attend just another lecture by Wolf D Prix. Being around these greats overwhelms you but right there is an opportunity to see how they do what they do. I knew I wanted that when I chose the Angewandte to do my master’s. There are no rules, and they don’t tell you what to do. It’s a casual and artistic atmosphere in one hand, but on the other, it is also extremely aggressive. You have no time to rest. The feeling is that you can do anything, create anything, boundaries can be broken, and you can imagine anything, nothing is too far-fetched. The people you work with are some of the best in the world, be it structural engineers, fabricators, etc. While looking to do my master’s, these were my primary concerns, and the Angewandte was the perfect choice.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?
H.M.: In 10 years I see s[toggle]. expanding internationally, and at the same time being academically involved.

G.P.G: In 10 years we see ourselves evolving into a research-oriented studio working with a highly motivated multi-disciplinary team and closely associated with the academia.

What do you want to be remembered for in the future?
H.M.: Honest Designs.

G.P.G: I want to be remembered for the activism, and good design.



Arena Venom Opera House, Vienna. 
Pushkinsky Cinema, Moscow, Russia.


No comments:

Post a Comment