Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Imagining Old Kuwait

By Ali Al Yousifi
Because none of Kuwait’s old mud neighborhoods have been preserved, I always wondered what it would feel like walking around the narrow streets of pre-oil Kuwait. Fortunately, unlike Kuwait, the UAE has preserved many of its historical buildings, some of which form dense clusters similar to the neighborhoods of old. In a recent trip to Sharjah, I visited one of these historical neighborhoods.
Although there were many spaces in the preservation that were open and large, like public squares, I mostly enjoined walking down the narrow streets. Despite the occasional distant skyscraper that rises above the high walls of the streets and reminds me that I’m in the 21st century, these narrow urban corridors transported me decades in the past; I imaged myself walking around old Kuwait, surrounding by mud courtyard houses.









No comments:

Post a Comment