Saturday, May 11, 2013

Façade Fixing


By Ali Al Yousifi
This is a chalet building. I’ve been visiting this building since I was a child. Even before I started studying architecture, I found the façade strangely confusing (don’t you?). I always imagined it as a face: entrance as a mouth, big window as a nose, two small windows as eyes. But these facial features have been unpleasantly distorted, and shifted out of place
I mean why isn’t the big window on top of the entrance? It seems so obvious! And why isn’t the entrance in the center of the façade? This façade is almost begging to be symmetrical, but it’s been impossible to alter the annoying architect’s aesthetic decisions.
But now that I am an architecture student, finally I can do something to end this façade’s decades-long torment. By the power of Photoshop, I shall make it right:

Ah... So much better. Or did it have a certain charm before I ruined it?

2 comments:

  1. خالد الفالحMay 12, 2013 at 11:36 PM

    خلال أكثر من عشر سنوات وأنا اتردد على هذا الشاليه ولا زلت للقاء احبتي المعماريين هناك. ولا عجب أن يكون تصميم الواجهة الخلفية للشاليه بهذا الشكل! ولو فكرنا قليلاً فقط لوجدناه يحاكي نفوسنا المعتلة التي جاءت تبث همومها في هذا الفراغ! قيل أن البحر يهيج لعظم ما تلقى من شكوى الناس! فلا غرابة ان تعبس واجهة او تتأفف أمام القادمين إليها ربما لتذكرهم أن خلف هذا الحائط لا مكان للتأفف والعبوس! أو ربما هي متأففة وعابسة لجلبة الاطفال والرجال الأشقياء التي يمارسونها في ملعب الطائرة مقابل الواجهة! أو لربما تفعل كما الفتاة المزهوة بنفسها أمام رجال أرادوا التعرف عليها حتى لا يقتحموا الداخل ويسبروا أغواراً لا يراد لها الكشف إلا أمام خاصة أهلها

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. علي اليوسفيMay 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM

      مع أنني فكرت في مدى انزعاجي انا لعبوس المبنى, لم افكر قط في سبب هذا العبوس! فكما اشرت انت من الممكن ان يكون لهذا العبوس سبب عميق لم اتوصل اليه بعد...

      Delete