Friday, January 11, 2013

Marina Courts: Essential Renovation


By  Hessa  Al  Habshi


There  are  probably  a  lot  of  football fields, volleyball nets  and  basketball  courts  in  Kuwait;  I  wouldn’t  know  really,  I’m  not  much  of a  sports fan.  I  tried,  but  that  phase  stuck  around  for  less than a year when I dabbled with  every  sport  in  school,  I  even  tried  playing  a  little  baseball.  It’s  safe  to  say  that  that  chapter  of  life  is  over:  my  basketball  has  lost  all  of  its  air,  I  don’t  know  where  my  football  is  gone  and  my  baseball  glove  is  safely  stashed  away  behind  my  PSP  and  Monopoly  board  game.  A  friend  of  mine  however,  tried  to  convince  me  to  accompany  her  to  the  basketball  courts;  I  didn’t  go.

Once  she  was  back,  she  complained  incessantly  about  how  bad  the  courts  by  Marina  Mall  were.  I  didn’t  think  much  of  it,  until  my  older  sister  asked  if  I  wanted  to  go  with  her  to  the  courts,  she  needed  inspiration  for  a  project,  or  something  of  the  sort.  I  jumped  at  the  opportunity;  I  wanted  to  see  what  my  friend  was  on  about.
The  place  was  in  bad  shape. The  steps  were  spray  painted  with  awful  graffiti,  as  well  as  the  seats.  There  were  a  number  of  entrances,  but  only  two  of  them  were  ajar.  Most  were  tightly  locked,  and  the  top  of  one  of  the  doors  was  broken  so  it  was  hanging  off  its  hinges.  The  chain-linked  fences  were  bent,  probably  by  the  wind  and  now  remain  in  a  permanent  concave  shape.  The  fence  was  also  rusting,  and  not  in  a  good  way.  I  want  to  say  that  at  least  the  hoops  were  all  in  good  form,  but  not  all  of  them  had  nets…
It’s  quite  a  shame  that  the  courts,  which  are  actually a popular spot among  foreigners  and  locals  alike,  are  becoming  unpleasant.  It’s  an  area  that  will  need  renovation  sometime  in  the  near  future,  I  don’t  understand  why  we  don’t  start  now.






4 comments:

  1. Sadly, this lack of maintenance is everywhere, all over Kuwait. At least these sport fields are still in use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time i read your blog posting.I really enjoyed reading this.The photos you shared is really good.Thank you for sharing this.keep updated.
    Renovation Kuwait

    ReplyDelete
  3. Respect and I have a keen offer: How Much Renovate House exterior house makeover

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool and that i have a nifty provide: How Many Home Renovation Shows Are There house renovation permit

    ReplyDelete