Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Wafra Seef Project

By  Hessa  Al  Habshi

Images  from  Gensler

It  was  stated  quite  a  while  ago  that  another  dining  destination  was  planned  for  Kuwait.  Once  people  knew  about  this,  some  were  ecstatic,  however,  others  gave  a  simultaneous  loud  groan.  Another  dining  destination?  Are  there  even  anymore  restaurants  left  to  bring  to  Kuwait?
I’ve  yet  to  visit  'The  Village',  I've  not  been  to 'Spoons',  and  I  can  count  using  my  fingers  (of  only  one  hand)  the  amount  of  times  I’ve  visited   Al-Bada’a.  I  understand  that  most  people  will  declare  that  the  reason  they  keep  building  these  destinations  is  because  that’s  what  interests  the  Kuwaiti  audience. But  that’s  no  reason  to  keep  building  shopping  malls  and  dining  spots.  How  many  times  have  I  talked  to  my  friends  and  asked  them  what  they  wanted  to  do  the  next  time  we  went  out,  and  they  contemplated  between  the  Avenues  and  360 mall…  Why,  it  was  only  yesterday  that  one  of  my  friends  jokingly  suggested  sha’ab  park.
That’s  an  idea:  why  not  build  a  theme  park?  Why  not  a  concert  hall?  Something  educational  perhaps;  the  possibilities  are  endless.
The  Architecture  and  Design  firm,  Gensler,  have  been  chosen  by  Wafra  Real  Estate  to  design  the  Wafra  Seef,  a  dining  and  entertainment  destination  along  the  coastline  of  Al-Mahboula  area.  This  is  Gensler’s  second  project  with  Wafra  Real  Estate  after  completing  the  interior  of  Wafra’a  headquarters.
Gensler  said  it  would  create  a  5,760 m2  retail venue  "unique  to  Kuwait,  exuding  quality,  contemporary  simplicity  and  understated  elegance".
I'm eager to see what Gensler has planned for the Wafra Seef project that will set them apart; I'm hoping that they'll include something unexpected and original.

1 comment:

  1. Gensler really have Awesome projects , but we should really reconsider again how to spend our weekends and vacations in different places rather than going to malls and restaurants
    And I loved the way that u have written your article it was short not as usual u have done in your last posts
    Nice article

    ReplyDelete